Monday 3 June 2013

10 Things I Lindy-Love About You

He Goes

Today a tricky challenge from Spoon - writing about some of our favourite dance partners at the moment, without naming names

I'm blessed with a great abundance of amazing follows, and cursed with a short memory and a chronic inability to focus on details, so more than one person may see themselves in any given item on my list. It's all good, though, so if you think you're in there, I agree! (Although for the sake of an even distribution of love, I won't add my longest-running dance partner into the list - she gets a special list of her own)

In alphabetical order:
  • Ms. Above And Beyond: takes a simple lead for a free turn and adds in another as a bonus! I love being surprised.
  • Ms. Air: It takes a lot of trust to let someone lead you upside-down, and she adds on to that trust a deceptive lightness of step and a keen attitude.
  • Ms. Class Clown: It's nice to laugh with your dance partner, even better to be able to laugh with them while we're doing our steps on opposite sides of the room.
  • Ms. Crazy Moves: is right - you can't take Lindy too seriously. Crazy shimmies, some mad-as-hell dance moves, and a laugh for any occasion.
  • Ms. Dance Geek: As a ballroom dancer, it's nice to discuss other dances even when the only overlap is swing, and to be able to sometimes put those discussions into immediate practise with new twists on old dance moves.
  • Ms. Passion: "I would like to die dancing". What can one add to that? Except to say that she's a quick study on the dance floor, too. 
  • Ms. Queen of the Scene: I would say she's probably forgotten more about swing dancing than I've ever learnt, but I get the impression from her dancing that she hasn't forgotten anything. Another great one for cheeky insolence in response to leads!
  • Ms. Solo Charleston: We've only danced together a few times, but I could understand immediately how she could feel the music enough to lead a 50 people at once. 
  • Ms. Swing-out: There's no sense in implying that any of my current favourites don't swing out like bosses, but there are some swing-outs that are so clean that they're a single bold stroke drawn on a canvas.
  • Ms. Touchstone: Knows my moves like the back of her hand! Quick to follow a dodgy lead, quick to laugh when it all goes wrong. Lightning!
The problem with a list like this is not just saying the same thing over and over again! It's enjoying the dance. Follows who love to dance are the greatest follows, and I am lucky enough to know so many of them. Keep it up, all of you, you're all wonderful, and thank you for the dances!

She Goes

I just thought it might be nice to focus on the people we dance with rather than the dance itself for a change! I certainly feel super lucky to be able to dance with so many amazing leads.

So this week, for you my dear gentlemen of lindy hop, a short list of what I'm particularly enjoying about the way we dance together.

(I was going to give you all Reservoir Dog names but I had too many leads to appreciate- see, spoilt!)

Mr Bounce:  Excellent and eloquent dance vocabulary aside, I'm always secretly a little suprised to see you walking normally because you, sir, have the most amazing bounce in your dance! Even at the end of a night when you've been hitting the D-floor hard all night. *approving nod*

Mr Humour: We have an amazing dynamic when we dance- I really feel like we're having a conversation. Mostly with you doing all the talking (always with the talking!) but I'm able to chip my two pence in. *beaming smile*

Mr Not-London: From our very first dance you were instantly one of my favourites. Your playful flirty humour and musicality levels are awesome. That look on your face when I suprise you with something or you lead something I've not done but still follow it- adorable.  And you're cute as hell. Keep it up! *winks* 

Mr Whip: Without a doubt, you lead one of the best swingouts I've ever had the pleasure to be on the receiving end of. And you say nice things to me when we dance. What more does a girl need?! *thumbs up*

Mr Boss: One of the most plentiful sources of mid-dance banter! I think we've really grown into our dynamic and developed a lot in the last year. I've gone from being slightly nervous when we dance to feeling super confident with you- and you can take my teasing. *High five!*

Mr Shoes: After a few months of us not really dancing so much I feel like we've reconnected- and not wanting to sound like a patronising cow- I really feel a change in your leading, in a good way. It's much clearer and firmer. You feel more confident and I respond to that. And you love to discuss the nitty gritty at the end of a night. *Swing Spouse!*

Mr Fan: It's only recently we've started dancing more regularly on the social scene, but I'm really struck by how smooth and mellow your tone is. You've also got this cool side by side charleston variation that I just love. Even when lead by others, I think of it as one of your signature moves. A good dance with you makes me feel super fly. And you're also cute as hell. *win!*

Mr Anytime: You're a hoot! You give me a lot of eye contact and you are not afraid of scaring the hell out of me! The turn variations (oh my god the spinning and the turning), murmurs of encouragement, and general banter levels are excellent. *big grin*

Mr Hat: Our dance conversations are awesome, and have been so from the very beginning. I really feel like you read me, and that I can read you. I have absolute trust in everything you lead. Not dancing two in a row has never been an option and never will be! *hugs*

Mr Coiled Spring: When we have a kick-ass dance I feel like I've genuinely achieved something important. Your energy levels an tone can be pretty full on and I expect a challenge whenever we dance. You push me and give me great feedback, which makes me feel like a great dancer! *high ten*

Getting to the end of the 10 and there are still so many I could mention! I'm so thankful to have you all, whether you are someone I only see socially or someone I'm friends with (or becoming friends with) too. Suffice to say, if we've danced together more than once in this lifetime then I am a big fan of your work!

Ok, gushing love fest over for now :)






No comments:

Post a Comment