Monday 10 June 2013

The Standard Flip (A.K.A Lindy-Love V2.0)

He Goes

This week the reverse of  last week - what leads am I impressed by at the moment, and which follows does Spoon have her eye on! This is a tricky subject for me, since I'm generally not spending a lot of time watching leads doing things that are salutory, I'm usually watching leads do things that I'm trying not to do. Still, I can say that there are a few people I have historically stolen / have recently stolen / am about to steal some moves from:

  • Mr. Approach: None of this tedious "walking across the floor and asking" business for Mr. Approach. Back when I first learnt Lindy I was always impressed by the fact that he was dancing over to his potential partner, getting in the rhythm in preparation. I stole that.
  • Mr. Tweed: His neat, tidy leading style is already half-way to balboa, and it took me about three months to work out how to steal one of his simple lead turns. Now I can hardly go a dance without doing it.
  • Mr. Slick: Recently spotted coming out of a jam circle with that move where you step your legs apart and sort of hip-thrust/hop your way out (hard to describe without saying "jerk yourself off to the side", but yeah, no). The minute I think I can do this without looking totally ridiculous, I'm stealing it.
  • Ms. Look-out-behind: A good reminder to look over your shoulder a little and be extra aware of where you're swinging into! I don't need to steal this, but I should certainly be remembering it more (also the only person to appear on both this and last week's list).
  • Mr. Portfolio: Like a rolodex of moves, when I'm dancing near him I can always rely on him to start doing a move I hadn't thought of and that I can go into in a few phrases time. Handy!
You dance like a boss.... LIKE....A....BOSS!

She Goes

I thought of flipping last weeks post on its head after feeling compelled to give a fellow follow some appreciation last night at a social. (And y'all should know by now I'm big into sharing the love and giving compliments where they are due!)

She just looked super-freakin'-smooth in her dancing and I was totally digging on her choice of outfit. It wasn't vintage, it wasn't high maintenence, just sexy but casual and I had to give her a high five. Which went down a treat I must say. What chick doesn't enjoy getting props from other chicks?!

But I digress. Please find below a short list of follows who I totally admire:

Ms Unshakeable: Always looking calm and in control no matter who leads you, with an amazing repertoire of moves and under-the-radar style (which I love!)... If I'm not dancing I'm probably watching you and trying to absorb!

Ms Technique: If I could dance half as fast as you can and with the same level of technique I would be a very happy follow. It's simple- you kick ass.

Ms Mellow: Oh lady, you have such a mellow style! If I'm not having a good night sometimes all it takes is for me to watch you have a good dance and I'm in the zone. Low key but stylish in all the right places- you remind me to have fun when it's getting a bit too serious :)

Ms Studious: How, how HOW are you always dancing in heels? Seriously! You make a girl want to ignore the aching feet and get her wiggle on. (FYI for those of you not in the know, that's a pleasant side effect of dancing in heels- smaller steps and increased levels of twist-twist ;) )

Ms Wave: I don't think we've ever spoken (and it's unlikely that you read this, but still!) Your posture and poise when dancing is fantastic. I feel like a hunchback by comparison. I try and stand and a little straighter and dance a little taller whenever you're in the room.

I hope you've all enjoyed the last fortnight of lindy-love. I just think it's wonderful when a fellow dancer says something complimentary to you about your dancing- whether it's someone you regularly bounce with, someone you've just danced with for the first time, or someone you've only ever watched and admired. (not in a stalky way, obv!) Please don't be afraid to give a little love. You never know, you might just make someone's day

:-D

No comments:

Post a Comment