Monday 27 May 2013

LSF; Ninjas In London

He Goes

That feeling when you're doing something else all weekend, but your facebook feed is full of cryptic references to dances, competitions, and workshops that you're not at. All your friends are coming home late or watching amazing routines.

Oh well - I'm getting old. I can't go to every dance event. I just have to accept that.

...or do I?

Keith gets to work on his cloning machine...

She Goes

FOMO- it's actually a squirrel. It sneaks up on you, watching, head tilted. Then the nibbling starts. 'Oh, I wish I was at <insert desirable dance event here>'... Then nibbling becomes munching. 'I WISH I'd gone to <insert desirable dance event> Ah man!'... And before you know it, munching becomes full on chomping and it consumes you. 'WHY am I not there, WHY didn't I make space in my calendar/bank account to go, I'm missing out on seeing X, dancing with Y and hearing Z. Wahhhh!'

Your Facebook feed becomes a source of irresistible envy of the car crash variety; you want to know but you don't want to know! No I don't want to see pictures or YouTube clips... Ok just this one... (Etc etc)

LSF was a mixed bag for me, I must admit. Friday night I was torn between kicking myself for not entering any of the comps (enhanced by people exclaiming surprise that I hadn't- flattering yet infuriating!) and being so full of pride for all my friends who entered. I could have burst with joy.

I was chomping at the bit to dance on Saturday to make up for the lack of social dancing the precious night. However as I had a friend taken ill that evening I was quite distracted for the first part of it, and it took me a while to settle in once I'd got her packed off in a cab home.

I had some lovely dances though- and I got to dance with a swing rock star. Y'all know Kevin, right? ;) It was smooth and fun and I'm happy that I didn't embarrass myself! 

My highlight of the night wasn't actually a dance of my own though. It was watching a friend dance with Evita- he was ermayzingggg! When I watch people dance I look at the dance dialogue between them rather than specific moves- and it was cracking! She's clearly a super fun follow to dance with- she looks so receptive and full of joy- and he was busting out some killer moves. LIKE A BOSS! You know who you are dude. That night actually be my high point of the weekend. 

Sunday was good, but in all honesty I didn't like the venue so much- I found the sprung floor annoying once it got super busy. Plus I'd buggered up my favourite dancing pumps the night before and was sulkily using my others. And I enjoyed the band- but they had zero energy in their performance, which I found to be a let down. Saturday's band had more energy- and they were sat down for a lot of their set! 

The after party met my needs though- I stayed upstairs throughout and got my blues on! Drank wine, had rum shots, ate sweets, and got dipped and swayed. Win. PLUS the last 30 minutes were soul-funk-tastic which was awesome! I finished my weekend dancing to Marvin Gaye with a wonderful lead, and went home smiling.

Squirrel courtesy of Chris Battle. (chrisbattleillustration.blogspot.co.uk)

No comments:

Post a Comment