Monday 5 November 2012

Interlude: I propose and you dispose

No He Goes She Goes today, but we will be back next week - or possibly sooner. In the meantime, an interlude:

I propose and you dispose

I propose and you dispose
that's the rough idea.
I swing you out and you show me swivels
but that's not what's happening here.

I dance the steps that we learnt in school.
You do the wrong ones but make them look cool.
Where all the cracks are, that's where the dance gets in.


I'm not too good at leading a Charleston
so you kick the dog.
My tuck-turns are lazy and you miss my hand
so you fall off the log.

I lead a little hop but I don't do it right.
So you jump half your body height.
Where we screw up, that's where the dance gets in.


It isn't just a one-way thing
I can do it too.
When we overcook some crazy turn
On the heel of my shoe.

I get fancy in the instrumental break,
Too proud to mention it was just a mistake,
Where we're imperfect, that's where the dance slips in.


Now some songs they go on forever
some end just like that.
Even the experts are never so sure
that they'd bet their hat.

When that song ended we wished it was longer,
But the hashes we made only made us stronger.
We danced it together, and that's when the dance got in.

No comments:

Post a Comment